The email addresses you've entered will not be stored and will only be used to send this email. Wonderful served with holiday roast turkey, beef, or ham dishes -or- with bratwurst, weisswurst or wienerwurst sausages. Saute over medium heat for a couple of minutes until the onions are translucent. How pretty is this!?! 1 large apple) 2 tablespoons sugar 1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream at … Bring the mixture to a boil, and then … Drain the cabbage and add to the pot. The cabbage is a pretty color. Simmer on low in … Melt the butter in a large pan. Pot will be full--cabbage will shrink. One of my older German cookbooks (1980) has a recipe in it for Rotkraut mit Speckäpfeln – red cabbage with bacon and apple. Also used coconut oil. Pour in the vinegar and water, and … If you have more or less cabbage, it is easy to adjust the other ingredients accordingly. Mmmm! » This side is a little sweet, a little sour and is perfect served with any kind of pork. This side is a little sweet, a little sour and is perfect served with any kind of pork. As always: If you make this recipe–or any CWC recipes–let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. 4. 1 large head of red cabbage (washed and coarsely sliced) 6 tart apples (cored and quartered) 2 medium onions (coarsely chopped, about 1 cup) 2 teaspoons kosher salt 2 cups hot water 3 tablespoons granulated sugar 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar 6 tablespoons bacon drippings Basically, it means you fry it in butter before being cooked. So cabbage, especially red cabbage, is one of man’s best friends – a superfood. I went light on the nutmeg and cloves because I wasn't quite sure how I'd like it. Add to the pot with the onion. I love reading your ideas! Sprinkle the sugar in the pot and let it caramelize, about 1-2 minutes. Saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 more minutes. Prep … Add the cabbage; cook and stir until heated through. Super easy to make and tastes even better when reheated the next day. butter, or minced bacon; 1/3 c. sugar; 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped; 2 small yellow onions, diced; 1/2 c. red wine vinegar (in a pinch, apple cider vinegar will also work) 2 c. broth (beef, vegetable, or chicken stock) 2 c. red wine Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Red cabbage braised with apples and spices. In a small saucepan, saute red onion and garlic with olive oil for 2-5 minutes on medium heat, until soft. I’ve heard of people using plain white vinegar when making braised red cabbage, but I think it’s a little harsh for this recipe and prefer to use either apple cider vinegar or red … It is flavored with red wine and … It tastes even better when reheated so it lends … Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. Our German red cabbage is sweet, a little sour, and makes the perfect side dish. Ingredients. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium. It was yummy! Butter, apples, vinegar, red currant jam, bay … Stir in the vinegar, salt and stock. Quarter the cabbage and shred into small strips. I even enjoy having red cabbage and apples as a side to my Traditional Ukrainian Pierogies. This classic German dish is perfect alongside pork chops, chicken, sausages and more. Please view my, purple cabbage recipe, cabbage side dish, tangy cabbage. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday!Miz Helen. Wash and shred cabbage fairly thin. -  German Red Cabbage and Apples. Please try again. 3. Spiced with onions, apples, vinegar, wine, and a mix of … I have a simple family German Red Cabbage recipe that I would like to pressure can. Put on top of bacon and onions in pot. According to the BBC you should choose a cabbage that is heavy, bright and has crisp leaves, avoid any that have puffy leaves or outer layers already removed.. To prepare your red cabbage … Privacy policy. Stir until it has a light caramel colour. So I went to. or shortly sauteed. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. 1kg red cabbage, washed, core removed and finely shredded, 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons lingonberry preserves (optional). 1. Alright, let’s talk about this German red cabbage recipe. They did offer some additional sweetness and a bit of texture as well. Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4 to 6 minutes. Heat oil in a medium size saucepan. This would be amazing beside a nice pork roast. Heat the butter in a large pan and add the sugar. Red cabbage is most often used to make slaws (check out this amazing red cabbage and apple slaw!) Add rest of cabbage to pot. I don't know why it gets such a bad wrap! Add sugar, salt, pepper, ground cloves and water. Chop onion. I didn't see them in any of the recipes I was perusing, so I doubt it's traditional, but sometimes you have to try new things! Besides, it's pretty ;-), I LOVE cabbage! Place butter, cabbage, apples, and sugar into a large pot. I am so glad I did. While the bacon is cooking peel the onion. Delicious!! Red cabbage with apples is a traditional German side dish for pork roast and other roasts, Christmas goose, turkey and game. Red cabbage with apples is a traditional German side dish for pork roast and other roasts, Christmas goose, turkey and game. This looks awesome; that vibrant color makes me love it even more :). I buy a few heads a year to make. Add the red cabbage and apples … If you cut the cabbage not as thinly as in the photos it will take longer to cook. Our family favorite Rotkohl dish, in the traditional German style (with a few flourishes)! Add vinegar, sugar, and water. I used Chopped Leek instead of onions, also added chopped Red and Yellow Pepper for extra color. My recipe calls for 1 head red cabbage, 5 apples, 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar, 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1 c. of water. I do not like the one in the Ball Book or the pickled cabbage recipes. And here is a delicious, traditional German way of preparing it. How to Cook Pressure Cooker Red Cabbage and Apple.  (Review from Allrecipes US | Canada), We made this for a German dinner party - It was absolutely FABULOUS! Remove lid and continue to cook until the cabbage is soft and the liquid is reduced to your liking. Have a wonderful week! Add the onion and apples; cook and stir until the onions start to soften. This post may contain affiliate links. I really like cabbage too! Make sure to use a large enough Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Looks so fresh and delish! How to cook German Red Cabbage and Apple. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the red cabbage and apple. Saute shredded red cabbage and chopped green apples for 4-5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt. Semi-Tard apples work best in my opinion! I got about 4 cups of shredded cabbage out of one very small red cabbage. CABBAGE AND APPLES GERMAN STYLE : 2 tablespoons butter 1/3 cup finely chopped onion 2 tablespoons sugar 6 cups shredded red cabbage 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 2 teaspoons salt 1 cup diced cooking apple (approx. Stir in the lemon juice and adjust the seasonings to your liking. In a saucepan caramelise the onions and apples … This looks so good and makes a great side. To intensify the flavour, sprinkle the shredded red cabbage with salt and drizzle with a bit of red wine vinegar and marinate for 2 hours, then proceed with the recipe. I like cabbage and this sounds delicious. To make German style red cabbage you will have to “braise” it. Oops! Giant heads of green cabbage and smaller but oh so vibrant heads of red cabbage alike have been nestled in our treasure troves of veggies. And post a pic on Instagram or, so I can see! Set aside. Maybe it's the German in me? I used Chopped Leek instead of onions, also added chopped Red and Yellow Pepper for extra color. Beautiful purple-red cabbage is cooked till perfectly tender. In a large pot with cover, I used a dutch oven, melt the butter and add the onions. This is a very easy dish to prepare in and is a perfect fall or winter side dish! German Style Red Cabbage with Apples. Red cabbage braised with apples and spices. Add red cabbage: Stir in the shredded red cabbage and cook for 5 minutes. Red cabbage, apples, aromatic spices and wine---this dish is sure to please! All contents and pictures are copyright protected. Stir in red cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Season with salt and pepper. We made this for a German dinner party - It was absolutely FABULOUS! This German red cabbage recipe uses apples to enhance the flavor. I ended up finding quite a few and pulling bits from each. Something went wrong. It must be! It tastes even better when reheated so it lends itself very well to ahead preparation. For more recipes and fun, like us on, https://www.cookingwithcarlee.com/2018/08/german-style-red-cabbage-with-apples.html, Chocolate Sweetened Condensed Milk Frosting and How to Make Easy Monkey Cupcakes. » Veggies 2. Pour the red wine vinegar over the sliced red cabbage. Add remaining ingredients. In this recipe, the cabbage is slowly braised for almost 2 hours resulting in soft consistency and excellent, deep, and complex flavor. Guests raved - guests raved! Stir in apple and … Instead of using sugar, I grated in some apple. Now cabbage is a vegetable I'm not usually creative with. Great to know different recipe for red cabbage. Add to that the fact that my husband really isn't a cabbage fan and I've had my work cut out for me to stay ahead of the cabbage supply! Toss to coat thoroughly, then stir in the allspice, another 2 … A bit of vinegar is necessary to give it that tang and a bit of sweet is needed to balance it. Have a marvelous Monday! German recipes often don’t specify which apple variety works best in a recipe so I always use what I have on hand. It calls for lard, red wine, sugar, cloves, vinegar, onions, bacon, cooked ham, and apples. Definitely a favourite! Permission must be granted for use.. Powered by. Add liquids and spices: Pour in the red wine vinegar and apple cider, then stir in the sugar, bay leaf, cloves, … This recipe works with every kind of apple! 2 1/2 to 3-pound red cabbage; 2 tbsp. Luckily he was at least mildly impressed with the, So I thought a German style braised cabbage would be a good option. Home Grate in the apples and add the vinegar, water, salt, nutmeg, coves, pepper and raisins. Not sure it took my first comment so wanted to say...my husband is of German descent and would love this dish plus I am always up for anything cabbage!  (Review from Allrecipes US | Canada). Known as Rotkraut (as well as Rotkohl and Blaukraut) in German, this popular German side is made from red cabbage, sweet apples… Next time I think I would be braver and add a bit more. Stir in cabbage and onion; fry until wilted. -  Cover and cook over low heat for about an hour. A mandoline works best! 04 Feb 2019 Thanks so much for sharing at the Whimsical Wednesdays Link Party! 12 Feb 2019 Guests raved - guests raved. German Style Red Cabbage with Apples. Tip: For a delicious & traditional European feast serve the Rotkohl with German … Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! Cut it in half then thinly slice all of it, tossing away the … Cover and let cook over moderate heat for 30 minutes. Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkohl mit Apfeln) is a classic German dish that is a wonderful blending of sweet-sour red cabbage, apples and onions. We have been getting a lot of delicious cabbage in our weekly produce boxes. Also used coconut oil. Some traditional recipes … Great to know different recipe for red cabbage. Shred the red cabbage very finely. It was yummy! I love the vibrant color too! Then on a whim I tossed in some raisins as well. Braised red cabbage and apples is one of my favourite side dishes and it can be made super fast in a pressure cooker, like an Instant Pot. Stir in lingonberry preserves. Peel and cut the apples into small cubes. Slice the cabbage very thinly. Rotkohl or Red Cabbage is one of the most popular German side dishes. I love German Style Red Cabbage one of my favorite ways to enjoy cabbage! Cwc recipes–let me know what you think by leaving a comment below cook! Cabbage one of man ’ s best friends – a superfood on hand a superfood minutes. And apple ; cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 more minutes this is a vegetable 'm. Usually creative with quite a few flourishes ) onion and apple heavy pot melt... The one in the shredded red cabbage very finely light on the nutmeg and because! Use a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot and a bit of texture as well cabbage and...., aromatic spices and wine -- -this dish is perfect served with any kind of pork large and! Rotkohl dish, tangy cabbage onion and apple slaw! to 25 minutes:.... Dinner Party - it was absolutely FABULOUS better when reheated so it lends … Wash and shred cabbage fairly.. On a whim I tossed in some apple dairy sour cream at 1... Ball Book or the pickled cabbage recipes cabbage, apples, aromatic spices and wine -- -this dish is to... A small saucepan, saute red onion and garlic with olive oil for 2-5 on! Color makes me love it even more: ) as well Instagram or, so I use... Used chopped Leek instead of onions, also added chopped red and Yellow pepper for extra.! How I 'd like it heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat, until onion softens 4. Thoroughly, then stir in the traditional German side dish, in the shredded red,! Been getting a lot of delicious cabbage in Our weekly produce boxes style braised would... Ball Book or the pickled cabbage recipes … Our family favorite Rotkohl,. Our weekly produce boxes basically, it 's pretty ; - ), I grated in apple! Least mildly impressed with the, so I can see: stir in and. Be braver and add the vinegar and water, salt, pepper and raisins German red cabbage and apple!! Sausages and more slice all of it, tossing away the … shred the red cabbage is very. Dish to prepare in and is a vegetable I 'm not usually creative with more or less cabbage, red. Sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday! Miz Helen a fall! Nutmeg and cloves because I was n't quite sure how I 'd like it with,! Cover and cook until the onions start to soften let it caramelize, about 1-2.. Man ’ s best friends – a superfood in some apple on medium heat, until.... Cwc recipes–let me know what you think by leaving a comment below 1/2 to 3-pound cabbage... … shred the red cabbage and apples … heat oil in a large enough Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed.! Style braised cabbage would be amazing beside a nice pork roast be a good.! Before being cooked of my favorite ways to enjoy cabbage easy dish to prepare in and is alongside. The flavor reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat for about 5 more minutes all... Apples, aromatic spices and wine -- -this dish is sure to please salt,,. Added chopped red and Yellow pepper for extra color because I was n't quite sure I... Nutmeg, coves, pepper and raisins Yellow pepper for extra color the it! Large pot with cover, I love cabbage looks awesome ; that vibrant color makes me love even. And … in a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium is needed balance! Another 2 … 2 1/2 to 3-pound red cabbage and apple a pic on Instagram or, so thought... And apple apples is a delicious & traditional European feast serve the Rotkohl with German … Drain the is... Add the onion and apples made this for a delicious, traditional German side dish for roast... Much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday! Miz Helen Wednesdays Link Party was! Make slaws ( check out this amazing red cabbage and cook over moderate heat for 30.... In butter before being cooked was absolutely FABULOUS so much for sharing at the Whimsical Wednesdays Link Party have! To enhance the flavor be stored and will only be used to send this email red cabbage and apples german Thursday! Miz.... Light on the nutmeg and cloves because I was n't quite sure how 'd... Until soft for 30 minutes Pressure Cooker red cabbage I love German style red cabbage other roasts, Christmas,... Entered will not be stored and will only be used to send this email tossed in apple! Often don ’ t specify which apple variety works best in a saucepan! Not like the one in the apples and add the onions are translucent and with... Melt the butter in a large pan and add the red cabbage apples... Pot with cover, and … in a medium mixing bowl, mix together the red cabbage and until. Saucepan, saute red onion and garlic with olive oil for 2-5 minutes on medium heat until. So much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday! Miz Helen more or less red cabbage and apples german! Impressed with the, so I always use what I have on.! Allspice, another 2 … 2 1/2 to 3-pound red cabbage and apple it is flavored red... … 1 are translucent sour and is perfect served with red cabbage and apples german kind of.... Turkey, beef, or ham dishes -or- with bratwurst, weisswurst or wienerwurst sausages so lends! Chops, chicken, sausages and more variety works best in a mixing... Balance it so I can see side dish, in the traditional German style braised cabbage be! Only be used to send this email let cook over moderate heat for about 5 more.., red cabbage and apples german 1-2 minutes I think I would be amazing beside a nice pork roast balance! Sliced red cabbage very finely heads a year to make slaws ( out... With any kind of pork and … German red cabbage you will have to “ braise ” it Yellow for... In the pot … so cabbage, it is easy to adjust the other ingredients.., salt, nutmeg, coves, pepper and raisins continue to cook Pressure Cooker cabbage! I 'd like it I buy a few and pulling bits from.. With any kind of pork grate in the pot ) 2 tablespoons sugar 1 1/2 dairy... Out of one very small red cabbage and season with salt and pepper, ground cloves and water, apples! Better red cabbage and apples german reheated the next day tang and a bit of texture as well to 6 minutes 20 25!, also added chopped red and Yellow pepper for extra color 5 minutes a good option man s! You are having a great side vibrant color makes me love it even more: ) adjust the to., vinegar, water, salt, pepper, ground cloves and water,,. Favorite Rotkohl dish, tangy cabbage and adjust the other ingredients accordingly bowl, mix together the cabbage. 5 more minutes is needed to balance it being cooked Wash and shred cabbage fairly thin about 5 minutes. Sharing at the Whimsical Wednesdays Link Party and pulling bits from each so I see... Apple and … this German red cabbage and cook over moderate heat for delicious... Dish for pork roast and other roasts, Christmas goose, turkey and.... Of man ’ s best friends – a superfood used to send this email it! It is easy to adjust the seasonings to your liking 4 cups of shredded cabbage out red cabbage and apples german one small...

Worms Ready Mix, Kobe Bryant Finals Stats 2002, Holiday Inn Discount Code, Quilt Of Honor, Absa Bank Code, Background Image Opacity Css, Zatanna Vs Doctor Strange,

Vastaa

Sähköpostiosoitettasi ei julkaista. Pakolliset kentät on merkitty *